Tuesday 12 October 2010

"Hangdog Expression"

Not quite such a glorious day, although the weather is still stunning, in fact it feels positively grey - our little hearts ache. Due to travelling abroad for Christmas, we needed to arrange care for our pups, chooks & cats. We're fortunate to know some lovely kind folk who said it would be their pleasure! However, today we heard our dear house/pup sitter is now also, unexpectedly,  going to be away, so I telephoned a local, recommended, Boarding Kennel to discuss the possibility of having our pups to stay for the duration needed. Many many questions asked , all reassuringly answered with wonderful kindness & warmth.
Especially as we're all not keen at all putting our pups into Kennels - but sometimes when needs must - one needs to put trust in anothers kindness & capabilities.  The lady sounded perfect, she used to be a breeder & absolutely sounded as if she would love out pups as much as we all do. We were invited to go see their run, home, fields etc etc. All seemed a little more positive. Then she asked me if they were a little girl & boy, "No" I replied, "two little girls, two sisters" much to my astonishment I heard a gasp & she uttered words which brought my whole happy illusions which I know as my life come crashing down hard. "No no you should never NEVER have two bitches from the same litter, especially NOT Border Terriers - they will fight once they come into season & fight viciously " " Who was the breeder, she should never never have sold you two girls, she should have suggested a male & a female, never ever sell 2 bitches from same litter" I was absolutely speechless, these two gorgeous girlies who sleep together, play together, walk together, eat together, cuddle &  curl up together - no way she must have it wrong.  "But, but they're so happy, they love each other & are inseparable " I protested. She adamantly continued, "Yes but thats because theyre pups, as soon as they mature they will fight"  Our little pooches, who eat with the cats & chickens - gentle & loving - how could she be so certain. Maybe she was mistaken. Maybe we would be lucky. Maybe, just maybe we would be okay. Hmmmmm, after further research, forums & telephoning six other breeders. I was horrified to learn, read have reinforced yes in fact they're notoriously known for fighting. Its a Rule of Thumb - never two bitches, same litter sold to one household.
After reading tooo many horror stories  on the internet of distraught owners having to rehome one of their dogs & how severely injured the other dog was. Tis enough proof for me.

Mmmmm Lunch!
Soooo after an afternoon sobbing I've put the pups up for sale, I mean they've only been with us 5 weeks. It will be much easier for them to adapt to a new home the younger they are.  I can't even express just how much love these 2 little pups have bestowed upon them. We all really enjoy them in our family, we have the most gorgeous daily walks - we share & enjoy two continuously happy wagging tails, their excitement greets us at every turn or moment. I - we - are absolutely devastated.  The lady I spoke to said just sell one & keep one - huh - how can I choose - how could we ever choose to just keep one & let the other go. Impossible.

I am praying we have a response, that somewhere some loving lovely families are excitedly looking for a little Border Terrier pup - the responsibility finding a safe happy good home feels suffocating and heartache accompanying our loss yet the thought of our two gentle beautiful pups becoming vicious towards each other far outweighs any feelings of unease. Its not about us - its about their future happiness .

She also suggested, perhaps we could trial run, she how they fare & if they fight too much then sell - but I cant wait til then - I don't want to 'have' to sell them as that means one could be hurt or frightened & I cant have that on my conscience. I'd rather have a very sad heart but happy pups.

We're all a bit shell shocked & subdued.  Trusting in life's process, I will eventually find the value of all experiences.  All will turn out as its meant to be. Meanwhile I - we - will enjoy each & every single moment & pray we find some fabulous info & stories of sibling Borders who get along really well! :(

We've been waiting for ages, we ordered the steak!
STOP PRESS
Still in dialogue with other Border Terrier breeders & Vets just gathering opinions & suggestions before selling. Hoping we can be the Alpha Dog. ..  teach them not to fight each other. House them in different sleeping cages as opposed to their shared comfy sheepskin fleecy bed.


However, after all optimistic research the sensible solution hasn't changed, is exactly the same as first instinctively thought. Both or one of them has to be sold. Being a Mum, the choice has been made for me by my daughters love - she adopted Twiz as her's - how can I sell my daughters pup. Kyloe will be sold. I cant write any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For your time, your thoughts & expression - Thankyou.
Wishes for your day - good health, wealth of Soul with a heart full of love & laughter xXx