Monday 13 September 2010

Syndrome, symptom or solution!

We're sooo lucky here upon the hill, we're surrounded by such special people -  we really have the most lovely neighbours.  Although, I'm unsure they will feel the same - if it isn't our cats eating their cats food its our chickens eating their beautifully manicured blooming borders! Oops I digress already  - as I started to say - today we had a lovely spontaneous visit from one of our neighbours  - popped in to play & see the pups with her daughter who hadn't seen them, lots of excitement & tickles & time spent playing with the pups - which was greatly appreciated by me too as it meant I could wash the utility room floor AGAIN!! Hmm I've discovered my once lovely clean utility room floor with pups - mud - rain - yikes - never seems to be clean nowadays!During this fun spontaneous visit, it was commented by my neighbour about the 'empty nest syndrome' Implying that the pups were to replace our, maybe, University bound child.

Now, just to bring my woeful thoughts - ones to shatter all illusions they may have of any maternal supremacy I hold or all other considerations they have of  my potential 'nest - filling - empty'  How very odd, to live next door for 20 years & never really know a person. I'm delighted to say they must think so much more of me than deserved. I mean, truly I must be the worst Mum in the world!! How come I can never think like that! An empty space doesnt need filling it needs exploring & discovering all the wondrous things a space contains - choices !! :)
2 pups - for an empty nest - you've gotta be kidding - our 17 year old daughter is at the most perfect age to house sit, pup sit. I've waited 17 years to travel with hubbs ..  17 long holiday empty years -  now the child is almost a fully fledged adult, in training, we at long last can sail the seas, fly across continents for pleasure & leisure. Hire a Winnebago & tour the States. Take a month long pleasure peek at Asia etc etc. Gone are the days of  100% nurturing, babysitters, routines & responsibility. But, being a good Mum ;) I do feel for her being left 'home alone' (well with friends or/and family) & as she's always wanted a dog too - well what could I do but agree - it seemed such a great idea to now have them. After all they'll be a great asset, good fun & good companions to keep her company & perhaps, added bonus, good little guard dogs too. Of course its probably to my best interest to keep this information quiet. Keep the illusions alive. Life is, as they say, is made up of many moments & illusions :) Life, work, family - my philosophy is very similar regardless of which realm or dimension I temporarily reside. As an Holistic Health Care Practitioner, always I would treat the root cause - never the syndrome or symptoms. Always maximising the potential outcome of any situation. Same with parenting - being a Mum, doing all I can to help my child mature & grow - sooo what's the best way for any teenagers to learn responsibility, learn to cook & fend for themselves then to be left alone to experience those exact principles & challenges. Can't beat experience.
"By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is the noblest;
Second, by imitation, which is easiest; 
and third, by experience, which is the bitterest"
Confucius 

孔夫子 

Passports pleease - yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!! xXx ;)
We can all only do our very best for our kids!!!!!! :D The syndrome is parenting, the symptom is responsibility & the solution is the relief of any guilt whatsoever in whatever way best one can when leaving the nest in the capable hands of the fledgling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For your time, your thoughts & expression - Thankyou.
Wishes for your day - good health, wealth of Soul with a heart full of love & laughter xXx